Dr. M. S. Roopesh
Assistant Professor of Food Safety & Sustainability Engineering
Ph.D. in Biological and Agricultural Engineering (2012), Washington State University, Pullman, WA, USA
M. Tech., Post Harvest Engineering (2006), Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India
B.Tech., Agricultural Engineering (2004), Kerala Agricultural University, Trichur, India
Assistant Professor of Food Safety & Sustainability Engineering (2016-Present), University of Alberta, Canada
Research Associate in Low-Moisture Food Safety Engineering (2012-2015), Washington State University, Pullman, WA, USA
- Research and Innovation Award, Faculty of Agricultural, Life, and Environmental Sciences, University of Alberta, 2020.
- Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) Emerging Leaders Network Program, 2017
- Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) Foundation Feeding Tomorrow Graduate Scholarship, 2011, 2010
- Outstanding student award and Kegel Fellowship award, Biological Systems Engineering department, Washington State University, Pullman, 2010.
- Graduate School Doctoral Scholarship, Washington State university, 2011.
- December Career Day, PepsiCo and the New York Academy of Sciences (NYAS), 2011
- E-Journal Prize, International Commission of Agricultural Engineering (CIGR), 2008.
- Professional Member, Canadian Institute of Food Science and Technology (CIFST), 2016-Present.
- Professional Member, Institute of Food Technologists (IFT), 2008-Present.
- Member, International Association of Food Protection (IAFP), 2015-Present
Editorial Board Member, Journal of Food Science (Food Engineering, Material Science, and Nanotechnology), Institute of Food Technologists.
Postdoctoral Fellow/Research Assistant
- Bina Gautam, Research Assistant (May 2019-Present)
- Bacterial biofilm reduction by LED and cold plasma treatments
- Ehsan Feizollahi, PhD student (September 2018-Present)
- Project: Potential of atmospheric cold plasma technology to reduce mycotoxins in food/feed materials
- Harleen Kaur Dhaliwal, PhD student (September 2018-Present)
- Project: Efficacy of conventional and novel intervention methods on the inactivation of desiccated and biofilm forms of Salmonella
- Barun Yadav, PhD student (January 2017-Present)
- Project: Atmospheric cold plasma based hybrid technologies to improve food safety
- Amritha Jaya Prasad, PhD student (September 2016-Present)
- Project: High intensity pulsed LED treatment to improve low-moisture food safety
- Sitian Zhang, PhD student (September 2019-Present) (Co-supervised with Dr. Lingyun Chen)
- Project: Protein functionality improvement by novel technologies
- Muhammad Zubair, PhD student (July 2017-Present) (Co-supervised with Dr. Aman Ullah)
- Project: A novel integrated approach for waste water treatment
- Muhammad Faisal Arif, Masters student (September 2019-Present)
- Project: Atmospheric cold plasma technology for canola protein functionality improvement
- Yulia Barsukova, Masters student (June 2019-Present) (Co-supervised with Dr. John Wolodko)
- Project: Microbial safety of 3D printed foods
- Sreelakshmi Menon, Masters student (January 2021-Present)
Postdoctoral Fellows/Research Assistants/Visiting Scientists
- Dr. Basheer Iqdiam, Postdoctoral Fellow (June 2019-May 2021)
- Cinu Varghese, Shastri Research Student Fellowship (SRSF)-Doctoral award (IIT Kharagpur, India, July-December 2019)
- Bina Gautam, Research Assistant (February 2019-February 2020)
- Farah Naz, Research Assistant (September 2018-August 2019)
- Lihui Du, PhD, Postdoctoral fellow (March-October 2018)
- Ana Claudia Spinelli, visiting scientist (Jointly with Dr. McMullen), (Federal ministry of agriculture, Brazil, February 2017-January 2018)
- Abdullahi Adam, Masters student (MSc, Degree completed: January 2021)
- Project: Microbial decontamination and rapid cooling of fresh food products by plasma integrated low-pressure cooling
- Alvita Mathias, Masters student (MSc, Degree completed: January 2021)
- Project: Development of 3D printed foods and their drying and decontamination using light emitting diodes
- Samir Subedi, Masters student (MSc, Degree completed: January 2020)
- Thesis: High intensity pulsed Light Emitting Diode (LED) treatment for simultaneous Salmonella inactivation and drying of wheat flour and pet food
- Bina Gautam (MSc, Degree received: June 2019)
- Thesis: Influence of water activity on thermal resistance of microbial pathogens in low water activity foods
- Shreyak Chaplot (MSc, Degree received: June 2018)
- Project: Atmospheric cold plasma based hurdle technology to improve food safety
- Yuxuan Ge, (NUFS 401, University of Alberta, July 2019, GFTC scholarship, September-December 2019)
- Sabrina Chang, (NUFS 401, University of Alberta, July 2019)
- Jorge Humberto Sanchez Ochoa, Mitacs Globalink intern (University of Guadalajara, Mexico, June-August 2019)
- Yazeed Alnefaie, Mitacs Globalink intern (King Saud University, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, June-August 2018)
- Qifan Wu (NUFS 401, University of Alberta, July-August 2018)
- Jiayu Zhao (NUFS 401, University of Alberta, July-August 2018)
- Akina Yoshioka, UARE undergraduate intern (University of Sao Palo, Brazil, May-August 2017)
- Bharti Sharma, UARE undergraduate intern (Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India, May-August 2017)
- Kexin Li, UARE undergraduate intern (National University of Singapore, May-August 2017)
Graduate Training Opportunities
Not currently accepting new graduate student/postdoctoral fellow/research assistant applications.